Friday, August 20, 2010

Life lessons taught by the dog

I have never been one to go out and buy a nice pair of shoes or the newest in men’s clothing. I’m just not built that way.
There are some things, however, that I am notorious for spending money on. Anyone who knows me can guess most of my money goes towards movies. If I was being really honest, I would say it was movies and comic books, but that makes me sound too much like a man-child, so I won’t tell you that.
I have recently had to cut back on my spending to afford pesky things like my house payment and electricity during these summer months, which has taught me to be happy with the things I already have and has shown me the difference between the things I want and the things I need.
The other thing that has taught me this lesson — my dog. It was cute when he was a puppy and he would get something in his mouth and run around the house, begging to be chased. In hindsight, I probably should have not enjoyed chasing him so much because he now believes it to be a fun game.
When he was small, I could chase him down, but now he weighs 55 pounds and has gotten a lot faster. Most of our belongings now go up high where he cannot reach, but there have casualties to his canine jaws.
My sister lost a cell phone, I lost a favorite movie and my wife lost a pair of shoes. This has taught me to keep my house clean and to not put so much stock in material things, but be happy with my wonderful wife and my mischievous dog. I couldn’t get the satisfaction or joy from any movie than I get from my own family.
My dog also encouraged me to quote scripture to my wife whenever she gets mad.
But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where DOGS and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. Matthew 6:20.
I changed up the words to make it more personal, but the same rules apply. All of my stuff is going to be gone someday, and that is OK because I have got other things to live for.

Luke Harris is the editor of the Burleson Star. He recently discovered that dogs will eat a plaster cell phone holder if they get their paws on it. He can be reached at www.burlesonstar.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment